Sunday, September 09, 2007

Tears Of A Clown

I came accross this picture and it reminded me of Smokey Robinson's song. I was talking to a guy at a Birthday party that I went to on Saturday. He told me that he lost his lover of 4 years 2 months ago. He was being very strong not to cry and try to enjoy himself. I made him laugh. But I'm wondering how he's doing now that the party is over.

Now if there's a smile on my face

It's only there trying to fool the public

But when it comes down to fooling you

Now honey that's quite a different subject

But don't let my glad expression

Give you the wrong impression

Cos really I'm sad, Oh I'm sadder than sad

Well I'm hurt and I want you so bad

Like a clown I appear to be glad ooh yeah


Well they're some sad things known to man

But ain't too much sadder than'

The tears of a clown when there's noone around

Oh yeah, baby baby, oh yeah baby baby


Now if I appear to be carefree

It's only to camouflage my sadness

And honey to shield my pride I try

To cover this hurt with a show of gladness

But don't let my show convince you

That I've been happy since you

Cos I need to go, oh I need you so

Look I'm hurt and I want you to know

For others I put on a show ...


like Pagliacci didI try to keep my surface hid

Smiling in the crowd I tryBut in a lonely room I cry

The tears of a clownWhen there's noone around, oh yeah, baby baby

Now if there's a smile on my face

Don't let my glad expression

Give you the wrong impression

Don't let this smile I wearMake you think that I don't care

Cos really I'm sad...

1 comment:

BronzeBuckaroo said...

Powerful, D. I never realized how powerful and beautiful and sad those words were without the music that hides them.

This guy you met. Whenever a loved one dies, at the beginning people come to comfort and console the grieved one. They are there at the side to offer support. But, they forget that days and weeks and months after a the lost, that the grieved one still needs to be comforted and consoled because things usually aren't alright regardless of public face.

You are a beautiful man, D. And, and a true friend. My heart goes out to this guy who is in need of ones like you now more than ever.