Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Delightful, Unassuming and Dignified

Delightful, Unassuming and Dignified is how I would describe the 3 authors that I met this evening. I attended a book reading at In The Meantime Men's Group discussion of Visible Lives - Three Stores in Tribute to E. Lynn Harris. In order of the characteristics mentioned above, Terrance Dean (Hiding in Hip Hop) , James Earl Hardy (B Boy Blues) and Stanley Bennett Clay (Looker) read excerpts from this piece of work.
It was a pleasure hearing them tell stories of their experience with E. Lynn Harris and what he meant to the literary world, the Black SGL community and to Black Gay authors like them and others. They wrote this book in tribute so that the memory of E. Lynn would not be just a tiny blurb in a newspaper or an insignificant footnote in our history.

I haven't started to read the book yet but from the excerpts I believe the book will be pure pleasure. The authors all read their excerpts in such a way that it left you wanting more. Just what a good author should do! If any of these authors are in your city please make an effort to go see them. You will walk away feeling proud and significant.


The host of the event described E. Lynn and the Authors of Visible Lives as Royalty. I beg to differ as I would describe them as legendary. They will all be celebrated in our future as pioneers. Being royalty doesn't mean that you've done anything but being born to a royal lineage or afforded privilege uncommon for most. It doesn't mean that you've contributed anything to the lives of anyone. These authors have done just that.
E. Lynn Harris, rest in peace.

6 comments:

Eduardo Guize said...

I'm currently reading and enjoying my first E. Lynn Harris's book, Not A Day Goes By. Such a page turner!

Moanerplicity said...

I think it's wonderful that my fellow Brothas-of-The-Pen have come together to honor his memory.

I hope it's a runaway bestseller that turns even more people on to the Gift of Lynn... and reminds us all of what we lost. Thank GOD his legacy will remain alive thru his books!


One.

corve said...

I would love to read one of his books.

D-Place said...

Eduardo and Corve...I recommend that you read E. Lynn's books in order. Read Invisible Life 1st.

Moanerplicity..I completely agree with you.

I just ordered one of your books too!

corve said...

Alright thanks for that piece of info.

Chet said...

I've read all of E.Lynn Harris's books, and I anticipate reading this book in the very near future. I intended to purchase a copy prior to leaving for vacation. I spoke with a friend at the airport whom had just left BEA (Book Expo of American), but she didn't mention anything in reference to this book.